Zimmerman’s Request for Delay of Trayvon Martin Trial is Denied by Judge | The Urban Twist
Connect with us

News

Zimmerman’s Request for Delay of Trayvon Martin Trial is Denied by Judge

George Zimemrman’s trial will continue as scheduled.

TUT Staff

Published

on

02072013-zimmerman

02072013-zimmerman


George Zimmerman‘s bid for a new trial date has just hit a snag that would keep the trial moving right along as it should.

A Florida judge turned down his request to delay his June trial date for the murder of unarmed, black teenager Trayvon Martin, whom he shot and killed a year ago this month.

“I don’t see any of your issues as insurmountable,” Seminole County Circuit Court Judge Debra Nelson said in denying a motion by Zimmerman’s lawyer, Mark O’Mara, for a continuance in the racially charged trial.

A memorial service for Martin, who would have turned 18 on Tuesday, was held on the courthouse lawn before the hearing got under way, reports Reuters.

Before ruling, Nelson noted she had set aside several full days of court time for Zimmerman’s defense attorneys and prosecutors to bring issues before the court, but most of that time had gone unused.

She also said O’Mara had been working on Zimmerman’s defense since April 2012 and still has another four months to prepare for the June 10 trial.

O’Mara had told reporters he needed at least another six months to raise money and lay the groundwork for the trial. Zimmerman could face up to 25 years to life in prison if convicted of second-degree murder.

Zimmerman, who is out on a $1 million bond, is living in hiding in central Florida pending his trial. At the time of the shooting, he was a neighborhood crime watch volunteer in a gated community where Martin was staying with his father.

[Source: Reuters]

The Urban Twist is revolutionizing the news by delivering real-time coverage, breaking news, analysis and opinion on the arts, fashion, dining, music, events, politics, sports and society in general. It combines a highly regarded editorial team with a cutting-edge Web and mobile publishing platform to offer unique intelligence and insight.

Comments

News

Prison Guards Doesn’t Notice Inmate Getting Murdered by His Cellmate

Following the conviction of one inmate for killing another in an Ontario prison four years ago, Canadian authorities have released video footage that captures the behavior of a guard and other prisoners in the moments that preceded and the moments that followed the victim’s murder.

TUT Staff

Published

on

Following the conviction of one inmate for killing another in an Ontario prison four years ago, Canadian authorities have released video footage that captures the behavior of a guard and other prisoners in the moments that preceded and the moments that followed the victim’s murder.


On October 31, 2013, Adam Kargus, 29, was choked, punched, kicked and stomped to death in a cell. Although there is no proof that the actions of his attacker, Anthony George, 32, were detected, a recording taken from the area outside of the cell appears to show a guard walk by as the incident was unfolding. Although the video released to the public blurs it out, it is reported that investigators reviewing the footage were able to see the violence taking place through the cell window. The video then cuts to George later dragging Kargus’ bagged body out of the cell towards one of the Elgin Middlesex Detention Centre’s showers, without the guards noticing.

According to an autopsy done on Kargus’ remains, he reportedly died of blunt force trauma to the head, face, and neck. George told the court that he was intoxicated off of a concoction he made out of toilet water and fermented fruit when he went on his rampage. He has been sentenced to life, but may be eligible for parole in 10 years.

Continue Reading

News

5 People Finally Arrested in 1983 Racially Motivated Murder of 23-Year-Old Black Man

The family of Timothy Coggins may finally receive justice, over three decades later.

TUT Staff

Published

on

Suspects of a racially motivated murder of a black man 34 years ago have finally been arrested in Georgia. Frankie Gebhardt, Bill Moore Sr., Sandra Bunn, Lamar Bunn, and Gregory Huffman were all arrested in connection with the murder of Timothy Coggins. Coggins was found dead on October 9th, 1983 in Sunnyside, Georgia as a result of multiple forms of trauma. All five suspects are white.


The search for the suspects went cold until March of this year when new evidence came to light. Original witnesses were re-interviewed, which also lead to new information for the case. Police stated that many witnesses were, “living with this information since Coggins’ death but had been afraid to come forward or had not spoken of it until now.”

Frankie Gebhardt and Bill Moore were arrested and charged with murder, felony murder, aggravated assault, aggravated battery and concealing the death of another. Sandra Bunn. Lamar Bunn and Gregory Huffman were charged with the lesser charge of obstruction.

Coggins’ family thanked the police for re-opening the case saying, “We know that there’s been tireless nights and we know that you guys have put in so many hours making sure that these people were brought to justice…The only unfortunate part in this is that our grandparents, Timothy Coggins’ parents, are not able to see this today.”

Continue Reading

News

231 People Are Dead in Somalian Terrorist Attack

At least 231 are dead in what is now the deadliest attack in Somalia’s history.

TUT Staff

Published

on

The death toll from the bomb blast in Somalia’s capital of Mogadishu has risen to 231 with more than 200 people injured, making it the deadliest terrorist attack in Somalia’s history.


Hundreds more were wounded when a military vehicle packed with explosives detonated near the entrance of a hotel. Doctors struggled to help terribly wounded victims, many burnt beyond recognition. Officials feared the toll would continue to climb from Saturday’s truck bomb that targeted a busy street near key ministries.

Some of the victims died in their cars and in public transportation vehicles. “There was a traffic jam, and the road was packed with bystanders and cars,” a waiter at a nearby restaurant said on Saturday. “It’s a disaster.” Erdogan Hospital, one of six hospitals that received wounded victims, said at least 127 people had been brought there for treatment.

It’s not clear who staged the bombing, but Mogadishu is a known target for al-Shabab militants battling the government. President Mohamed Abdullahi “Farmajo” Mohamed has declared three days of mourning for the victims of the blast. Police official, Ibrahim Mohamed, told AFP news agency the death toll is likely to rise. “There are more than 300 wounded, some of them seriously,” he said.

The United States released a statement saying, “such cowardly attacks reinvigorate the commitment of the United States to assist our Somali and African Union partners to combat the scourge of terrorism.” The US military has also stepped up drone strikes and other efforts this year against al-Shabab.

Continue Reading

Recent Posts

Features

Trending

×
Like us on Facebook
Like us to get our updates on Facebook.
No thanks, I already liked your page
×
Did you like this article?
Please Share
No Thanks