The holiday weekend is one of the most profitable times for movies at the box office. As an underdog at the box office Dee Rees’ Pariah is making big bucks, raking in an impressive $81,500 with limited release; showing at only four theaters nationwide.
Director Dee Rees in collaboration with Focus Features produced the film which tackles the issue of lesbianism in the African American community. The movie explores the journey of Alike (Adepero Oduye), a 17 year old African American girl, as she tries to reveal her newfound sexuality to her parents. Kim Wayans and Charles Parnell also star in the movie as Alike’s parents.
Pariah made its debut at the box office last month, and it is set to reach more theaters by June. Other flicks which are raking in big bucks at the box office include:
- Mission Impossible – Ghost Protocal grossing $31,250,000
- Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows $22,095,000
- Alvin and the Chipmunks; Chipwrecked $18,250,000
- War Horse grossing $16,940,000
- The Girl with the Dragon Tatto grossing $16,300,000
- We Bought a Zoo $14,300,000
- The Adventures of Tintin $12,000,000