TheUrbanTwist.com is pleased to announce that we are an official media sponsor for The 2nd Annual Baltimore Urban Book Festival that takes place May 6th, 2012 in Baltimore, Maryland at the Frederick Douglass-Issac Myers Maritime Park.
We were on hand for last year’s festival, which was a huge success for Author Chris Hicks, who is the festival’s founder, and his partners.
Chris Hicks wanted to launch an avenue to help aspiring African-American authors launch their careers and/or get some career advice from some of those who have already made it as a succesful author. Thus, Baltimore’s first and only book festival focusing on African-American literature was born.
General admission tickets are just $5.00, with kids, which includes high school students, getting in free! If you’re a book club and register with the festival, your book club will get in free! If you’re a college student and show a valid school I.D., you’ll also get in free!
This year’s festival features some of the country’s most influential and best-selling authors of their respective genres such as Omar Tyree, T. Styles, JM Benjamin, Jimmy Da Saint, K’wan, Miss KP, Tamika Newhouse, Trice Hickman, Nicola Mitchell, Chris Hicks, Ladawn Black, Moses Miller, Nikki Turner,and Booker T Mattison.
There will also be several panels and workshops, which includes:
- AAMBC Awards Ceremony honoring this year’s top performing authors
- Chocolate Chat workshop featuring: T Styles, Jimmy Da Saint and Miss KP
- The real talk with the men of ECE (Ebony Chronicles of Elevation) hosted by 88.9 FM Morgan State University’s Anthony Mccarthy featuring: Corey Barnes, Q. B. Wells, Moses Miller, Omar Tyree, and Chris Hicks
- African-American Literature Panel hosted by Bmore news Donnie Glover featuring: Nikki Turner, Book T Mattison, Ladawn Black, Trice Hickman, K’wan, and JM Benjamin
And let’s not forget the children. There will be plenty of activities to help keep them busy as well, which includes:
- Free treats
- Face painting
- Moon bounce
- Annual free book giveaway drive
- and a special storytelling feature from some members from the Baltimore Ravens
Some of the proceeds from this event will benefit The Frederick Douglass-Isaac Myers Maritime Park’s program of the Living Classroom Foundation, in support of their Voyage of Exploration (a Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math program called STEM).
For a Limited time, we will be giving away 10 Free tickets to the event by going to our newly launched events booking website, TheUrbanTwist.com Presents.
For more info about the festival itself, check out www.BaltimoreUrbanBookFestival.com and check out last year’s highlight video below.