TUT Contribution Program
Interested in becoming a writer for The Urban Twist?
Your City. Your World. Your Twist.
Everyone has a voice. What’s yours?
The Urban Twist is a platform that allows journalists and bloggers the opportunity to get their voices heard and read, and for them to also be able to take home the revenue their articles generate over their lifetime.
We are always looking for strong passionate writers who are motivated to develop and write engaging content.
Our primary goal is to deliver quality content. If you feel that you’re up for the task, please read this information. It will greatly improve your chances of being accepted into our contributors’ program.
Who Should Apply?
You should! (Unless you are a spammer)
Our authors range from experienced writers to first-timers. As our process includes editorial oversight, we can be a great place to publish your first piece.
We’re primarily wanting writers who are looking for exposure for their writings and/or an opportunity to get real-world experience.
We are looking for reporters, journalists, and writers who can produce in-depth premium content with expert knowledge in one or more of TUT’s featured categories.
Responsibilities & requirements are as followed for contributors.
- Writing Daily Sports and Entertainment Posts
- Ability to Cover Live Sports and Entertainment Events
- Ability to interview Sports and Entertainment Personalities
- Previous blogging, writing, or media experience is preferred, but not required (independent experience is fine)
- WordPress Experience is preferred, but not required
Please do not apply unless you are truly dedicated to being an everyday journalist. We conduct ourselves as professional journalists who are in the industry of online media. We have covered over 500 live events (Super Bowl, NBA Finals, UFC PPV, PPV Boxing, Major motion picture screenings and award shows) in the past 12 months and our staff has had the opportunity to appear on television, radio, and in print. Some of our contributors have moved on to jobs in TV, radio, and print with major sports, news, and entertainment media companies.
We are looking for people who are available daily to produce content. Before applying to make sure you have the ability and time at least once a day to contribute your own content and potentially be available to immediately post breaking news
What Kind Of Articles Do We Publish?
Here’s a breakdown:
- News Articles: This one is self-explanatory. Anything trending on the world wide web or breaking news would apply here. News articles could cover any category and topics that we cover on our site.
- Viral News Stories: Stories that are going viral and have created great discussion among those who have seen or heard about the story. A good example of a recent viral story would be Charlo Greene quitting her reporter job live on air.
- Music, Film, and Video Games Reviews.
- List posts.
- Original News Stories: You’re the reporter. You’ve discovered this bit of news, so why not report it on our site? Let your creativity and freedom of expression run wild with these kinds of pieces.
- Op-Ed News Articles: These kinds of articles are the backbone of what The Urban Twist is all about. We love for our writers to share their opinion or “twist”, as we like to call it, on a wide variety of subjects that are near to them. These kinds of pieces are specially created to form some sort of dialog and feedback with our readers. Whether good or bad feedback is given, creating discussion is critical with these kinds of articles.
What Do We Not Publish?
We work with individual authors. Real people that our readers can reach out to if needed. We will immediately reject your application submitted on behalf of your CEO or a nameless member of your team. If your CEO would like to write for us, great! Send them this page and they can make contact in the same way as everyone else.
We do not publish articles that are an obvious attempt at content marketing. While your experience in your company and with your product is valuable, pieces full of links to your product, or which are a walkthrough of how to use your application will be rejected.
We are also not interested in SEO companies, content producers, or anyone trying to link-bait using our site for guest posting and articles that are not related to our core audience. We’re looking for actual writers, journalists, and bloggers.
We do have sponsored post options for companies who would like to increase their visibility while sponsoring great content. Again, this is not a way to post an advert, rather a way for you to put your name to some great content for our readers. Examples might be a company with a web performance tool sponsoring a series of articles about performance; an email service sponsoring an article about email design. Contact us if you would like to discuss this.
What Will The Urban Twist Do For You?
Creating great content is a two-way process:
- We will pay you promptly on the publication of your article.
- We have lovely, experienced editors and reviewers with specific knowledge in the subjects we cover. They will help ensure your article really hits the mark.
- We give you a byline with your photograph and biography, so readers can find out more about you and your work.
- We will promote your article on Twitter and on all our other channels.
We have a full guide to our writing process here, we aim to create a great experience for authors and to help you publish your best work with us.
Experience is a valuable commodity. If you’re looking to become a full-time journalist or freelancer, we’ll give you a great launching pad and invaluable experience in the article creation process. We’ll teach you how to use one of the most popular publishing programs, and how to adhere to best practices for online media creation.
The opportunities that are available for our writers are directly tied to the level of commitment that a writer demonstrates for our site. Current and past contributors have had opportunities to interview celebrities and gain access to red carpet events. We’ve even had contributors move on to start their own foundations and their own websites after using us as a launching pad.
Payment – Yes (Dependent on page views)
Requirements – We are only looking for ambitious writers who are looking to actively contribute to the site on a daily basis, preferably multiple articles per day and the desire to take on assignments that include reviews, guides, list-style articles, and more. You will meet weekly requirements for article quotas and monthly requirements for traffic quotas.
If the above doesn’t sound like you, but you are interested in contributing to our site we would still like to talk with you. Voluntary contribution to our site will still have some expectations attached to it, but far less than what’s listed above.
If you think you have what it takes and you are ready to write in-depth premium content, apply today to become a contributor.
We are interested in forging long-term collaborations with our writers. If accepted, we’ll provide you with detailed guidelines and suggestions, so you will know exactly what we expect and what we are interested in.
Note: We are not accepting any guest posts at the moment. We are also not interested in SEO companies, Content producers, or anyone trying to link-bait using our site for guest posting and articles that are not related to our core audience. We’re looking for actual journalists and bloggers.
Also Please Note: Just because you apply to become a writer on our site doesn’t guarantee that we will accept you. We unfortunately are not able to email everyone who applies due to the number of submissions that we receive.