The Perfect Guy is
about the extremes women must go through to find a good man who can commit a thriller that follows Leah (Sanna Lathan), a 35-year-old professional lobbyist, who’s love life goes all wrong. After breaking up with her boyfriend, Dave (Morris Chestnut), of two years, for lack of a seeable future, she falls for Carter Duncan (Michael Ealy) aka ‘the perfect guy.’ But when she watches him beat a man to near death, she decides to leave Carter where he is and proceed with her single life. But he doesn’t take this too lightly.
With a convenient set of cyber security skills, he installs cameras in her home and begins stalking her. It only gets worse when Dave decides to step up to the plate again and get back in Leah’s life.
Despite getting the help from a dedicated detective, dire consequences ensue. Overall I give The Perfect Guy an 8/10. And I will happily sit in between my copies of Brown Sugar and Fatal Attraction.
Also: semi-spoiler alerts below (nothing major).
But just for yucks, here are some of my musings from watching The Perfect Guy:
- It’s good to know when you should leave.
- Abuse signs show up early. Know them for you or someone you may know.
- Michael Ealy is so dreamy, he makes me forget that his character is a psychopath.
- Black love is beautiful.
- Don’t toast if you don’t agree.
- I don’t care how horny you are, sex in a public bathroom never looks good.
- Denial is a muthaf—a.
- If there are levels of crazy, Carter is the highest.
- I need a toothbrush sanitizer.
- Why do crazy exes always go after the pets?
- These cats ain’t loyal.
- The ignorant light skin vs. dark skin battle is visibly seen between Michael Ealy and Morris Chestnut. Result: Both are HOT and personality is the tie-breaker (as it should be).
- Seeing Morris Chestnut and Michael Ealy in one frame is something I never knew I needed to see, until now.
- Never tell a crazy person,”try me.”
- Some cliches are good, others we can probably do without.
- Movies need a new way to tell someone “if I can’t have you, no one can.”
- Sometimes all you need are a few “bean bags.”
- All of a sudden, I want to hear Bon Jovi’s “You Give Love A Bad Name.”
The Perfect Guy was released on Friday (Sept. 11). Check out the trailer below and find the showtimes here.