Most of us are familiar with the basic survival skills from our school days. However, with the passage of time and our convenience, we have not really been put into use these skills off ours. Truthfully we don’t really require skills but we are never too sure. Disaster can strike at any moment without any warning and this can include storms or even an individual getting lost by going off the trails. These are the moments when your survival skills can make or break your chances of living. Building a shelter, finding water, treating bones are making a fire can be the basics of keeping you alive in dire situations. Here are some of the basic survival skills every individual needs to learn.
- Drinking water: drinking water is something that every survival situation requires. It is one of the hardest things to have access to in disasters. So you must know how to find and purify water for drinking. There are many ways you can acquire drinking water. If you are in a hilly region where water flows naturally you can search for streams or creeks of crevasses. Even though the water is not visible there you should just follow the sound and we can ultimately find the source. You can even pick up a damp part of the soil that might sometimes give way to underground water. However, try to stay away from standing water as this may be full of parasite and bacterial. One of the safest ways to consume untreated water is by boiling at as it can somehow purify your water.
- Starting a fire from scratch: this is the next most important scale you should master in case of an emergency. It keeps you warm in cold weather, helps you to purified water, food, drive away wild animals and can even be used for signaling for someone to rescue you. If you are carrying for an emergency kit with you it would be much easier to start the fire. Highway in the absence you can also start a fire from scratch by trying to light up some dry wood and leaves. Green and damp substances cannot catch fire easily and are only useful if you want to send signals with the smoke. Right, a smaller piece of substance first and then throw it in to start a bonfire. Use natural substances such as wood or twigs to start the fire and save as much fuel and energy you can. It can be a tedious and long task but you have to be patient. You can reflect the light from the sun Ignite dry leaves or twigs.
- Finding food: food is essential for survival and during disasters, there is always a shortage. Master your skills to get enough food during the situations from the natural habitat. You need to identify edible plants and trees which grow in the world and like hickory nuts, asparagus, Jerusalem artichokes, and other leaves and berries so that your body can get enough nutrients naturally.
- Reading a compass and navigating: if you have wanted often the wrong trail this is what is going to help you to find your way back. One of the best tips is to search for the higher ground so that you can get a better view of your surrounding areas and point out your route. Another natural pointer during the day time is the sun and you can follow it to figure out the direction. Mark the ground with a stick or make a stand on the ground to follow the shadow. The general direction of the shadow is the East. You can even follow as stream as civilization is always where the water flows. You can always be prepared with the compass if you are not an expert in the field. This doesn’t require technological devices to keep running and is a good partner for your outdoor activities.
- Dressing wounds: injury is a common situation for natural disasters and unexpected situations. You need to be familiar with basic first aid skills to ensure that your wounds don’t get worse. You have to make sure that you cover the bandage close it so that bacterial infection doesn’t infest the wound. A Piece of cloth that can be torn from your dress to secure the wound tightly.
- Handheld GPS: Handheld GPS is the thing that you always need to carry if you want to survive while camping, as because these Handheld GPS’s helps you to find directions more quickly and also it helps you into not getting lost while camping or in between mountains. If you want to find some good hunting GPS, you can refer to below link to find it.
https://distenia.com/best-handheld-gps-for-hunting/ , here the reviewer reviewed some of the best handheld GPS that is available in the market now.
These are some of the basic skills one should masters if there are interested in outdoor activities or want to be prepared for natural disasters. It is never a bad idea to be ready for the worst situation and take precautions.
The Urban Twist is revolutionizing the news by delivering real-time coverage, breaking news, analysis and opinion on the arts, fashion, dining, music, events, politics, sports and society in general. It combines a highly regarded editorial team with a cutting-edge Web and mobile publishing platform to offer unique intelligence and insight.