Growing older does not mean that one should not take care of their oral health. As people get older, it is common for various smile issues to present themselves. Teeth might start to stain, discolour, crack, chip, wear, experience sensitivity, or require removal. The truth is that being a senior is no reason for you to have a beautiful smile. Cosmetic dentistry has come a long way and there are just as many treatments for seniors as there are for adults, maybe even more so. There are plenty of procedures which help restore your teeth to their former glory.
Why Do Seniors Require Cosmetic Dentistry?
- As one gets older, they are more likely to experience gum disease and tooth loss. This is why the importance of bi-annual checkups cannot be stressed enough. The checkups allow one to be aware of symptoms early on to be proactive for the best oral care and prevention of minor problems.
- Tooth sensitivity is extremely common among seniors.
- Discoloration of teeth is also possible due to dentil or enamel loss.
- Gum recessions signal root deterioration or periodontal disease.
- Bleeding, ulcers, and inflammation tend to occur because of inadequate flossing or brushing, misaligned appliances or jaw misalignments.
- Dry mouth due to certain types of medications.
Cosmetic Dentistry Treatments for Seniors
Now that you know why seniors require cosmetic dentistry, let’s take a look at the different cosmetic dentistry treatments that are available for seniors.
- Tooth Whitening: Achieve that attractive white smile that you have always wanted through tooth whitening. It is offered by dentists to help you get that smile of yesterday once again.
- Bonding: If you experience teeth sensitivity, chips, and small cracks, bonding is the most cost-effective treatment that is available. It involves the application of a natural tooth substance to the affected region.
- Dental Veneers: To deal with severe tooth discoloration, cracks, larger chips, or misshaped teeth, dental veneers are the best option. These porcelain sheets are tiny which makes it easy to place them delicately over the teeth to protect and mask abnormalities.
- Dental Implants: If you are tired of dentures or a dental bridge, dental implants are just what you need. They offer permanency and a natural appeal as compared to appliance misalignments.
- Full Mouth Reconstruction: Full mouth reconstruction is a combination of cosmetic dentistry and restorative dentistry to provide seniors with pleasing aesthetics and improved functionality.
Benefits of Cosmetic Dentistry for Seniors
With the advancement of technology, seniors can finally relish knowing that there are many options that are available for them. If you are a senior, it is about time that you took care of your teeth. Similar, caregivers can also recommend cosmetic dentistry to seniors that are assigned to them.
Some of the most obvious benefits of pursuing the options mentioned above are mentioned below.
1. Improvement in Health
One of the main benefits of cosmetic dentistry for seniors is that it helps improve their health. Possessing a set of pearly white teeth allows one to eat a wide variety of foods without having to worry about missing, damaged, or sensitive teeth. Thus, they would have no trouble breaking down food adequately for better digestion and assimilation of nutrients.
2. Look Younger
When seniors opt for cosmetic dentistry, they will look a lot younger. Discoloured smiles and missing teeth make one look older and lead to premature aging. However, when you have a healthy-looking smile which shines through, you will feel and look younger. Turn back the hands of time by getting cosmetic dentistry done. You will be impressed by just how much younger you look. Some popular cosmetic dentistry options for seniors include cosmetic bonding and teeth whitening which bring back that beautiful smile.
3. Boosts Self-Confidence
Finally, the most obvious benefit of cosmetic dentistry for seniors is that they will experience a boost in their self-confidence. With the availability of many cosmetic options, there is no treatment that you can undo the test of time. Restore the state of your teeth in no time with the right treatment. Now, you would not need to cover your mouth whenever you feel like smiling. Give your smile a break and enjoy the positive attention of having a stunning smile.
Seniors deserve a beautiful smile just as much as their younger counterparts. There are many modern cosmetic industry options that will allow seniors to attain a smile that possesses a youthful vitality.