Morgan Freeman was awarded the Cecil B. DeMille Award, to honor his influential contribution to the film industry. Idris Elba snagged the best performance award for his role in the BBC show Luther.
Octavia Spenser took home the best supporting actress award for her role in The Help. Spenser explained, “With regard to domestics in this country, now and then, I think Dr. King said it best: ‘All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance.’ And I thank you for recognizing that with our film.”
Freeman told reporters, “One of the more effective avenues for learning American history is movies. I was always a big reader when I was a kid, but movies -– they’re so impactive.”
The winners of the Golden Globe awards were as follows:
- Best Actor, Drama: George Clooney, “The Descendants”
- Best Actress, Drama: Meryl Streep, “The Iron Lady”
- Best Actor, Musical or Comedy: Jean Dujardin, “The Artist”
- Best Director: Martin Scorsese, “Hugo.”
- Best Actress, Musical or Comedy: Michelle Williams, “My Week With Marilyn.”
- Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer, “Beginners.”
- Best Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer, “The Help.”
- Best Foreign Language Film: “A Separation.”
- Best Animated Film: “The Adventures of Tintin.”
- Best Screenplay: Woody Allen, “Midnight in Paris.”
- Best Original Score: Ludovic Bource, “The Artist.”
- Best Original Song: “Masterpiece” (music and lyrics by Madonna, Julie Frost, Jimmy Harry), “W.E.”
- Best Series, Drama: “Homeland,” Showtime.
- Best Series, Musical or Comedy: “Modern Family,” ABC.
- Best Actor, Drama: Kelsey Grammer, “Boss.”
- Best Actress, Drama: Claire Danes, “Homeland.”
- Best Actress, Musical or Comedy: Laura Dern, “Enlightened.”
- Best Actor, Musical or Comedy: Matt LeBlanc, “Episodes.”
- Best Miniseries or Movie: “Downton Abbey (Masterpiece),” PBS.
- Best Actress, Miniseries or Movie: Kate Winslet, “Mildred Pierce.”
- Best Actor, Miniseries or Movie: Idris Elba, “Luther.”
- Best Supporting Actress, Series, Miniseries or Movie: Jessica Lange, “American Horror Story.”
- Best Supporting Actor, Series, Miniseries or Movie: Peter Dinklage, “Game of Thrones.”