If you’re like most people, you probably have no idea where to begin when it comes to selecting a ring. Which ring among the infinite selection would suit your girl best? Perhaps finding a ring is not the right answer. Maybe, just maybe, the best option would be to design your own ring. Following these tips will make this process much easier for you:
How You Can Choose the Best Stone
If you’re choosing a jewel, it’s important to make sure that the stone is authentic, and become familiar with the signs of a fake gemstone. There are many resources on the subject. Also, you need to make sure that the stone is the carat level that it’s purported to be and you’ll want to ensure that it is cut properly. That said, what types of gemstones are there?
Want a Beautiful, Sparkling Ring? Choose Diamond
While diamonds tend to be fairly expensive when compared with other gemstones, their price varies depending on how many carats the diamond is. In addition, diamond jewelry often retains its value quite well over the course of time.
Want an Affordable Option? Consider Emerald
Emeralds have a very dark green tone, and they vary greatly in their appearance. Lower carat emeralds have a somewhat dull appearance, but higher carat ones tend to be extremely shiny. According to CrystalBenefits.com the emerald is supposed to enhance faithfulness and love in a relationship.
Want a Striking Ring? Choose Sapphire
Normal sapphires are blue but they can actually come in a variety of other colors, and they have a unique appearance. They are cheaper than many other stones, so this makes them quite popular.
You’ll Be Surprised by Quartz’s Beauty
The type of quartz used in rings is much different than the clear quartz that you’re probably familiar with. The type of quartz used for rings is in fact, amethyst. This gem tends to have a deep violet color.
You Might Prefer a Pearl Ring
Pearls are created by oysters, and most of them have a unique white, a milky quality that has been sought after for centuries. GemSociety.org says that a natural pearl is a symbol of grace and luxury which is why it has been a staple of royal jewelry for so long. White isn’t the only color pearls come in. They can be any shade between white and black as well as lavender and pink.
Create a Unique Ring with Amber
Amber is a bit different than most gems, and it is actually a resin. This means that it was produced by tree sap being fossilized over a period of many years, and the material is often thousands of years old.
Want a Red Gemstone? Consider Ruby
Ruby has a very dark red color, and this makes it quite popular. It’s a common gemstone used in rings, and it can be more a more affordable option than diamond.
Want a Diamond Alternative? You Might Be Interested in Topaz or Cubic Zirconia
The best topaz has clear appearances that can refract the light and shine in a way very similar to a diamond to the untrained eye. If shiny is the goal, topaz is a great, cheap choice.
Cubic zirconia has a similar appearance to diamond, but it doesn’t come with the high price tag. It can often be difficult for an untrained observer to tell the difference between a zirconia ring and a diamond ring, and people who have experience with the two materials may not even notice the difference right away.
Want a Unique Gemstone? Consider Tourmaline
Tourmaline comes in all types of colors says Minerals.net, but pink, red, green, blue and multicolored are the colors it is most known for. If you are looking for a truly unique gemstone, getting a multicolored tourmaline stone would do the trick, and it goes great with many ring styles.
Want a One-of-a-Kind Ring? Choose Opal
Opal is an exceptionally colorful gemstone, and it actually includes all the colors that you will find in other gems! Due to the fact that the specific color pattern varies greatly from one stone to another, many people feel that opal stones are just as unique as fingerprints, and this means that no two opal stones are exactly alike.
How You Can Pick The Right Style
Here are some tips that can help you pick the right style for your ring:
Determine the Shape of Your Hand
Not all rings look flattering on all hand shapes. For example, as JacobMercari.com says, if you have short fingers, you’ll probably want a ring that will help them appear longer. A marquise, pear-shaped or oval cut will accomplish that. If you have long fingers then you have the luck to be able to wear just about any style a make it look good. However, bold cuts, generous-sized round stones or princess-cut diamonds look especially flattering on your finger.
For small hands, it is a good idea to opt for a delicate ring style with a small, round stone or even a princess-cut or heart-shaped stone. For bigger hands, bold, large designs will stand out the best.
Make Sure Your Ring Has the Right Band
Not all bands contain a precious metal, and this can significantly affect the appearance and value of the jewelry. Here are some things to look for when you’re considering whether or not the band is right for you:
- Make sure that the color fits well with your clothing style.
- Determine if you would like a smooth or braided band.
- If you want to choose a band with a precious metal, it’s important to be familiar with all three precious metals that are most commonly used in rings. Silver tends to be the least expensive, and platinum is the most expensive of the three. However, gold is often somewhat similar in price to platinum. According to JewelryShoppingGuide.com, platinum tends to have an appearance that resembles silver, but it is considered a much better material for jewelry because it is strong enough to resist easy scratches.
How Much Will Getting a Ring Cost You?
The cost of a ring varies considerably, but you have a lot of control over the cost. These are some of the most important factors that will determine how much you pay for a ring:
- The quality of the ring’s metal
- The jeweler that you pick to create the ring
- The gemstone and metals that comprise the ring
- The style of the ring
How Do You Choose a Jeweler?
Vogue.com suggests working with a jeweler on your custom piece. Jewelers vary considerably in their skill level, but following these tips will help to ensure that you pick the right one. Here are some things that you should consider when you’re choosing a jeweler:
- Read their reviews. They’re often extremely easy to find online. Make sure that people said that the jeweler provides a high quality of services. Also, check to make sure that people found their prices to be reasonable.
- Some examples of websites where you can find reviews are Google, Yelp, and Angie’s List.
- Check to see if the jeweler is accredited with the Better Business Bureau, and pay close attention to their grade with this organization. Read the individual reviews that have been posted on the BBB website as these reviews can often give you a lot of information about the specific jeweler.
- While many major stores have a jeweler, a lot of experts feel that it is best to hire an independent jeweler.
- Be familiar with the different types of jewelers out there, as there are a few you should choose from according to some experts.
Common Types of Jewelers
- Plan and Basic Jewelers: These are jewelers that pride themselves on affordability and are great for people on a budget. They often offer a limited amount of jewelry.
- Chain Stores: These services can be very affordable, but they often offer a fairly limited range of services. In fact, some employees may have been hired right out of high school which means they have little experience in the jewelry business. These stores are often found in shopping malls.
- Boutique Jewelers: Boutique jewelers tend to be a bit more artistic than other types of jewelers. Their products tend to be of higher quality in most cases too. As a result, this type of jeweler is usually recommended by experts, and customers often have given these jewelers exceptionally good reviews. In some cases, you will find pieces in these types of shops that are truly one of a kind.
- Estate Dealers: Essentially, these shops sell jewelry that is used. However, many of them are highly experienced jewelers, and they often have high-quality products to offer.
- Tourist Shops: Many shops that are geared towards tourists tend to offer cheap services, and their product is often of low quality. The materials that they offer tend to be of substandard quality as well. As a result, many people recommend that you avoid these locations, and often refer to them as “tourist traps”.
- Jewelers Without Walls: Some jewelers visit the homes of clients, and this can allow for an exceptional amount of flexibility when it comes to appointments.
- Online Jewelers: If you hire a jeweler online, you do not exactly know what you are getting. Some online jewelers are highly reputable, but others are of poor quality or are outright scams.
What To Consider When Designing Your Ring?
It’s not easy to design a ring on your own, and most people find that they need a professional jeweler to help them through this process. Some aspects of designing a ring require a significant amount of expertise on the subject. It may be best to take a sketch or your ideas to a good jeweler and have them help you with the tricky details.
Design the Ring With a Band or Without a Band?
Decide if you want to have a wedding band with your ring. If the answer is yes, then decide if you are going to include stones in the band or not. If so, determine which stones will complement the actual ring and move forward from there. WhoWhatWear.com says that a default round band may not be the right choice. Choose a band that fits with the shape of your engagement ring for a more classy look.
Not all wedding or engagement rings need to have a band, so if you or your partner decide not to get one, you won’t be alone in that decision. And if it is just a matter of affording it, you can easily wait a year or two to save up for a nice wedding band later.
While there are many steps involved in designing a ring, it’s not as complex as you might have first thought. Keep these tips in mind to help you make the right choices in order to have a ring that is as unique and as special as you are.
Check out this wedding article to find some great ideas that will add a little something extra to your special event. Whatever you need, you’ll find it here!